Don't shy away from these pancakes because they are gluten, dairy and egg free. These delicious little morsels are exploding with flavor and make busy mornings care free AND healthy. The warm comforting flavors of fall come shining through with each bite. I double the recipe and freeze a bunch because they go quickly in my house.
- 2 1/4 cup gluten free rolled oats (I buy mine at Trader Joes)
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup applesauce (substitute more pumpkin or sweet potato for FODMAP diet)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut beverage or almond milk
- 4 T coconut oil, melted
- 2 T maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Egg Replacer:
- 4 T freshly ground flax seed
- 12 T water
- Heat convection oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare the egg replacer by mixing the freshly ground flax seed and water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to gel.
- Grind oats in blender until finely ground. Pour into large mixing bowl. Add spices, salt and baking soda and blend until incorporated.
- In another medium bowl whisk together wet ingredients. Add egg replacer to wet mixture and blend. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and combine. Do not over mix.
- Spray cookie sheet with coconut oil spray and place dollops of batter onto the cookie sheet and form into pancakes (about 4-5 inch diameter and 1/2" thick)
- Bake for aproximately 25-35 minutes flipping half way through cooking. (pancakes are ready when you can get a spatula under them to flip with ease - all ovens are different and you may need to cook these more to firm them up.) Pancakes with firm up a little as they cool.
- Eat hot out of the oven with a little coconut oil, ghee, or nut butter spread. YUM!!!
These pancakes freeze very well and are great for busy mornings on the go. Freeze in sealed airtight container or plastic bag separated with layers with parchment paper. When ready to eat, grab from the freezer and pop in the toaster. You may need to toast them twice to ensure the center is thawed.
* Adapted from the Institute of Functional Medicine Detox Challenge Dietary Guidebook